Thursday, July 24, 2008

Edited Smoke and Mirrors

Last night I got to talking with a mom about blogging. This particular conversation has come up a few times before in reference to blogging. There are as many haters out there as fellow bloggers! I immediately get defensive
Their problem with blogging is they believe we have selective recollection. The lack of reality in the pictures of so many Very Brady/ Cleveresque families. Women wearing pearls while baking kids with schedules and rules that they follow without being asked... They are calling BS on all blogs I guess.
I tried to explain that I do not spew sunshine on all the world and paint a portrait of our family as to illustrate our family as untouchable or perfect. I just try to recount the week or day for friends and family.
Unfortunately, looking back I guess I have pulled the wool over all eyes peeking at our blog. I am a fraud. We are not perfect. I have yet to mention more than a handful of my misgivings. Yes, it is true we do have some.
I will now divulge a few things you probably didn't know about our workings here in the Tilton household. (only me- I wont embarrass anyone else.)
Hmm, where do I start.
-I, Tiffany Tilton, cuss at drivers when I am driving and far too often in my head. If anyone were ever a mind reader... Lets just pray they don't drive near me.
-In the summer time I occasionally wait until well after the chores and cleaning et. are done before I shower. I then shew the children away and allow them to do whatever they want while Hayden has his nap so I can indulge in a good book. I wait for Doug's call that he is on his way home before I hurry to straighten and put my make-up and pearls on.
-Smoke and mirrors baby.
-I spend too much money.
-I am rude to telemarketers.
-My closet is a holy pit of horrors.
It is the abyss of our home. Anything lost you can most likely find after a month in my closet. I don't even let the cleaning ladies go in there.
-I am a Diet Coke (silver can- yeah that's right the hard stuff) addict. Love it.
-I loathe cell phones. I really don't like hearing others peoples loud, pompous, one sided conversations in restaurants, stores et.!
-I am a hypocrite. I insist on everyone else giving me a game plan- but I actually like to fly by the seat of my pants.
-I don't exercise nearly enough- I have yet to commit to conquer the extra baby weight (he just turned 1!) packed on during and after Hayden. I guess you could say I took a year off. It has been great fun-but reality is telling me it's go time.

There you have it.
I am far from perfect and I know it. Although I do try to always do my best and am working on my many flaws- As with most bloggers I try to post as many of the fun things/happenings in our life that I can. Do we really always want to relive ick? Complaining doesn't make for fun journaling/blogging- So I guess that is why I am selective about what I blog- After writing the fore mentioned ick you probably see what I am saying to all the haters out there. Yawn! Who cares about those misgivings!
I vow to never divulge so much ick again!
Confession session over.
Back to the good stuff.

4 comments:

THE BULLOCK FAMILY said...

Tiffany- Thanks for your heart felt confessions! I really don't feel that blogging is just part truths. I enjoy reading other peoples Bloggs even if they are mostly the good things in their life. With so much bad things that goes on in the world today it's nice to see that there can be so much joy in other people lives. Even if it is smoke and mirrors. If it bring joy to others to mostly share the good I say go for it. It is nice to know that other families are not perfect, that I am not the only mom out their that quickly cleans up the house and puts make up on when my husband is minutes from home. But I know it brings joy to my husband to have a happy clean home and have a wife not looking like she was in her PJ's all day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are such a good mom and wife. You also have such a big heart. I know it's frustrating to be yelled at by an annoying woman who can only get her way by yelling at such a sweet person like you. But remember you did set an example by not yelling back. I hope this all makes sense. ~Nicole

Meg said...

You are too funny. I learned some interesting things about you. We'll have to discuss them at the family reunion :).
To be honest, the one blog I enjoy reading the most is by a girl I don't even know. The reason I like it is because she posts her feelings. I have had some acquaintances over the years who have acted like their lives were perfect and nothing ever went wrong and everything about their family was the best. To tell you the truth, I found them shallow and hard to bond with. I don't think anyone likes to be around people who are always down and depressed about life, but when we allow ourselves to show vulnerabilities, we show others that we can relate and that to me is so important.

Gina said...

I don't think people are hiding the bad or "not perfect" part of their lives. I mean, who has the time to blog EVERYTHING! If I can document a couple of good things a week, to share with friends and for my children to look back on, then I'm doing good. It's not that I'm saying our lives only consist of these good things. I do, however, love hearing people admit when they are not perfect. It makes me feel normal. So, thanks for sharing. You are the bravest woman I know, putting it all out there.

Tiffany & Doug Tilton +5 said...

I love reading all my friends and families blogs. The fact that everyone has so many great things to share inspires me. It also is a testimony to me of the gospel and priesthood power in our lives. I see friends and family with priorities in order and their lifes are moving forward and they are not looking over their shoulder- I was trying to mock the haters. Our life is how I say it is. Fabulous- My kids are having fun this summer, are looking forward to our family reunion, they are missing Washington - I adore my kids- I am still hot for Douggie -I look forward to everyday together as a family. Gina Megan and Nicole- I love your blogs! Keep up the great post! Most of all I love your pictures! Priceless!
Take care
TT