Monday, February 22, 2010

Be careful what you pray for...

Wow- once again a lot has happened since I last blogged. Everything is in a constant state of change. I keep waiting for everything to get back to normal after each ordeal in our life... I guess ordeals are what is normal in our household. Nothing major or catastrophic. Just constant change. Our kids are movers and shakers- we are moving three different directions at once. No complaints- Just trying to enjoy the ride as much as possible.
Biggest wow that happened...
You may have heard before that Doug was slated to ship out to Iraq. We had ample time to get ready for this ordeal. Almost a year of preparing, waiting and fretting. I kept on reminding myself what a great duty it is and how thankful I am to have such a wonderful husband that loves his country and the soldiers that fight for our freedoms. Blah blah blah. He was anxious but ready to go. The month before deployment I started to unravel inside. Doug is my best friend. I adore just about everything about him and everything about us. He is such an amazing husband, friend and father. I cant imagine life without him in it. Preparing meant getting ready for the worst to possibly happen. Life insurance, Wills, me taking over the bills. Things I honestly wasn't ready to grasp. I didn't let the kids see me unravel but one night I let it all out with Doug. I was a little more at ease once I let it out. I didn't want him to think I wasn't going to be able to handle it. I know I can, but I also wanted to let him know how much I wasn't looking forward to him not by my side. Thankfully he kinda fell apart with me too. I didn't feel like such a dunce.
The countdown was on. One Sunday night Doug officially signed out of the hospital and into the Unit that he would be attached to in Iraq. That night he came home after a day of PT and paperwork. Late at night he started to complain of a pain in his back. He couldn't lay down comfortably. It sounded like kidney Stones... I suggested we head to the ER. I expected Doug to shoot that idea down. Instead he agreed and we were on our way to the hospital at 1am.
To shorten this Epic saga- Doug spent the next 3 days in the hospital. He had multiple pulmonary embolisms. He is now on an anti coagulant and is non deploy able while he is on it. The say 6 months on the meds and 3 months after for the re evaluation for the deployment.
I looked at Doug in the hospital and apologized for all my prayers. I so didn't want him to go. I prayer for him to be able to return to us safely. I prayed for him to be able to stay- I now know you have to be careful what you pray for...I just wanted some young gun without a wife and kids to go experience this deployment... not my cutie. oops. On the brighter side the doctors cannot attribute the embolisms to anything. Many test have been done and he has a spotlessly clean bill of health. Doug is active- he runs 4 miles a day, swims every other day, he is not a couch potato- No explanations for this. I guess the Lords will was not the Army's. Thank Heavens!

So there you have it. My guy is home! We have a full house. On the downside- all the things this little mouse was going to do while the cat was gone are out the door now. Months of planning...