Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pebbles in my pocket

15 years! That is how long Doug and I have been married. It seems like yesterday yet our memories together seem to have been forever.
I look forward to every minute together. I can sum up the way I feel about Doug with the fact I smile when I am thinking about him- I can feel a twinkle in my eyes while I smile.
I feel blessed to have him as my best friend, husband, and father of our 5 children. I am thankful that he holds me, the children, and the gospel dear. He protects each with careful admiration and devotion. I love that he only does his best. He does not settle for any sort of mediocrity in life. I love his passions in life. He is never idle. He inspires me and our children to create, to learn, keep busy, and always do our very best.
Fathers Day reminds me of many wonderful memories of Doug with our children. My favorite memory being the day they (each) were born. Hunter was our first. We were so young and ready for the world without a plan. All we needed was love and fresh water. The evening of her birth I wanted to be strong. I couldn't believe I was being a so weak, crying throughout the delivery. I tried to hide my tears between contractions and act like I was a trooper. Doug was by my side being strong and encouraging. He was incredibly anxious with anticipation. I was scared. When Hunter came into the world I was exhausted and not really feeling the moment like you hear/read- no angels singing or instant bonding - I was exhausted. I looked up and saw Doug crying- tears on his cheeks. He was holding my hand and looking at Hunter, not wanting to let go of either. Literal tears of joy! The kind you read about.
I was amazed and humbled. It was beautiful. Each childbirth has been equally beautiful. I cherish those pebbles in my pockets.
Doug adores his girls and boys. Ladies in our Bethesda Ward used to ask how I was able to get Doug to help out with the kids. They would watch him have fun playing with them -snuggle and kiss them. The answer I gave was I couldn't keep him away. He is the best father around. Doug gave up doing some specialties in Medicine he really enjoyed and thrived in -in exchange for a more family friendly lifestyle- Radiology (they called it Radiholiday in Med school).
I am so thankful for my guy on this Fathers Day. I am thankful for his sacrifices. I am thankful for his parents. They raised an amazing son. They taught him how to fly but let him know he had to soar on his own. They gave him the determination and desire to soar.
I cherish the many pebbles in my pockets I have picked up while admiring Doug as a Father. I look forward to the many more that await.
Happy Fathers Day to the best father around!

3 comments:

THE BULLOCK FAMILY said...

Oh that was so sweet!! I felt the same way when I had my first child. But how blessed we are to have our husbands and the gospelto help us along the way!! Even though we don't have a plan someone else does. We have to trust that it will work out for the best. I am sure very grateful for each one of my children. Only one was planned, but I may not have gotten the others if it would have been my plan. Thanks for your sweet words Tiffany!!
~Nicole (Miss Nicole:) )

Gina said...

I know Doug is a good Dad because I remember dropping something off at your house and he answered the door with pink toe nails. I pretended I didn't notice but I think you said later that Jordan had painted them. I always thought that was so sweet.

Tiffany & Doug Tilton +5 said...

Even funnier story about people seeing Dougs pretty toe nails... He let Jordie paint his toenails the day before he broke his ankle! Talk about bad luck. He had to go into the hospital (the one he worked at) with pretty pink toenails! We each obviously werent thinking about the toenails until everyone in the room was looking at them with us! Ha. I am sure a few things were chuckled about behind his back for that one! The things we do for our kids!